- Start by conducting a little research; not too much, after all, you don’t want to work too hard.
- Pick an existing diet or two you favor – at the start you will need to follow the fruits of your creation so better select something you like. Note to self: a diet based purely on chocolate may prove to be a hard sell.
- Create a “new” diet based on the one(s) you like. But there is a caveat – you need to add something unique to it; for example, food listed cannot include anything red. The unique feature needs to have a scientific or, otherwise, a mystical, albeit fictional, reasoning e.g. red signifies anger and attracts bad spirits in some forgotten ancient Asian tradition.
- Get a few close friends to try it out. Make sure they are indeed very good friends who will hurray you just for being you, irrespective of the diet. Since the fad is based on someone else’s routine and hopefully that someone did their research right, it may actually work, at least for a few weeks.
- Get your friends to write testimonials and start spreading the word around on social media.
- Build a fancy website; include great photos of before and after (photoshop can come handy, just make sure its done well.) Include also the testimonials from your friends. Note: you can make up a few fictional testimonials yourself but it’s a good idea to have several authentic ones.
- Create an online support forum for followers, though initially it will contain only fictional posts you invented and submitted on behalf of your imaginary fans.
- When some revenues start to stream in, either by the sales of a book you will write (yeah, you may need to do actual work,) or a secret system you sell online, or some magic supplement, hire a PR firm to further promote you via traditional and unconventional channels. They will help you identify all the potential suckers – worry not, there are plenty.
- At that point you will also want to get some endorsements, preferably from doctors. If you are one yourself, that helps; if not, start hunting around for some. They are easier to buy than you would imagine. At the start, if desperate, a dentist will do, though I would recommend avoiding veterinarians. Lovely people but…
- Make money and keep the flame going by announcing tweaks to the diet e.g. a special version for vegetarians, gluten-free and other freaks (I am one myself so I should know.)
- Do not wait too long – when you make decent money, find someone to sell the venture to. These things may not last long and you have better things to do with your time than work.
p.s. please send me 10% commission if this works out for you. I trust your honesty.
Learned from: meditating on my deluxe veggie omelet and how I can turn that into a goldmine…